Friday, January 6, 2006

7th Jan 2006 - Amazing "makan" Race part 1


HONG KONG CAFE PTE LTD

378/380 EAST COAST ROAD
SINGAPORE 428985

RESERVATION/CALL & COLLECT
HOTLINE: 6440 3808 / 6440 0083
FAX: 6440 3110

OPERATION HOURS
Monday - Sunday & Public Holiday: 6pm to 5am


The race began at 8pm. First check point was this Hong Kong Cafe at Marine Parade. GF have been dropping hints about paying this cafe a visit for quite a while. I was thinking to myself, "Not another Tong Shui?"

Following strict directions, we can't seem to locate the cafe. GF believe that this cafe had sort of blended in with it's surroundings which probably explained why we missed it earlier. I blamed it based on scientific explanations. We were Hungry, in fact too hungry to open our eyes bigger.
Actually the ambience was quite alright. Business was good that night and we were lucky to be able to find a good seat in the al-fresco dinning area. Once seated, it's time to get down to business.

Looking thru the extensive menu they have will leave you even hungrier. A simple description will be sufficient enough to set your hungry mind wild. Check out their menu here -> http://www.hkcafe.com.sg/

GF ordered the Hong Kong Cafe Special Baked Rice.
The melted cheese nearly drove GF crazy. I would say the portion of the food were huge and with substance. Many a time we find ourselves paying a higher price only to find the quality to be on the other end. In this case, we were very very satisfied. Thier Special Baked Rice have a reasonably thick layer of melted chees on top. Beneathe all that cheese there were generous amount of prawns and sotongs, and a huge piece of special sauce Prok Chop!~!~!~ I like how the special sauce ( the red colour tomatoe based sauce ) goes so well with the rice and the seafood. However i dun really find the quality of the seafood used of top quality. They tasted a bit lempeh lempeh to me. Things were starting to look better....

I ordered the Curry Pork Chop and Chicken Chop Rice. I was hungry , and nothing less then huge pieces of meat to satisfy me. Let alone a dish that gives me the chance to taste both Pork Chop and Chicken Chop at the same time. "gotta have this, gotta have this" i was telling myself as i wrote down the our orders on the specially designed paper.

And boy , i was a happy man when my dish arrives. On top of it all is a piece of beautifully panfried sunny side up. There were huge pieces of Pork Chops and Chicken Chops, and not to mention an absolute local's favourite, Curry Chicken as dressing. I would prefer with a little bit more of that curry sauce thou.

The Pork Chops and Chicken Chops were well marinated and cooked perfectly. They were both juicy and extremely tender. More, More, More....

We both ordered Yuan Yangs ( The Perfect Match ). However i was disappointed at the quality. So far we were very satisfied with the environment and their service, their food but their speciality, the Yuan Yang, pales in comparision to Tong Shui's. Will give it a miss the next time round.

For desserts GF had a serving of Banana French Toast with ice-cream. I had a simple Mango King.

A beauty isn't it. The presentation alone won me over. I have a thing for how my food are presented in a simple and elegant way. The Toast was good. Gotta try it with a bit of the ice-cream and banana. Heavenly... (5/5)

I had the Mango King. Initially i thought it was a Hong Kong speciality but i never expect it to turn out to be a smoothie of that sort. And i was a willy little bit disappointed when they brought over my Mango King.

Soon after my first mouth, my worries were gone. This smoothie is a hit!~!~! A specially blended smoothie with HK cafe special mango jelly, topped generously with crunchy bits of sweet mangoes and a scope of mango ice-cream. I'll definately come back for this.

After dinner, we made our way down to the 1st pitstop of the race. Punggol Jetty... TBC....

No comments:

Post a Comment